Ever wish you could send a text message to your students? Activity Feed provides instructors with an easy way to share class reminders, files, and links to existing activities all in a way that mimics features from social media platforms. Students can comment on a post within the Pulse App. What makes this tool so powerful is that unlike News and Announcements, which is one-way communication, Activity Feed allows for two way communication. Instructors have the ability to turn on/off commenting for any posting. For example, if you post a link to a news article relevant to your course, you can turn on commenting and allow your students to discuss the article directly from the Activity Feed Widget. If you would like to know more about Activity Feed, please watch our Professional Development and refer to the Activity Feed Playlist.
Add Activity Feed to the Homepage
The Activity Feed widget does not appear on the current Default Course Homepage for courses in Momentum. Therefore, the widget must be added to the course homepage. To do this, instructors have two options:
- Use a modified course homepage: If you are already using a modified course homepage containing widgets not on the default homepage template, you can add the Activity Feed Widget to the modified course homepage that you’re currently using.
- Create your own custom homepage: To create your own custom course homepage, you need to follow the “Modify the Default Course Homepage” directions on the How to Change or Modify the Course Homepage video tutorial. You will need to add the Activity Feed widget to your new course homepage. You can also add or remove other widgets and change the homepage layout if desired.
Create Activity Feed Post
Navigate to the Course Home.
Select the plus sign.
Type the message in the box.
To turn off the commenting feature, select the checkbox next to “Allow Comments” .
To attach a file, website, link, or video select the paperclip icon.
Select Post Later to schedule for another time or Post to schedule immediately.
The character limit for a post in Activity Feed is 3,065 characters. If this limit is exceeded once Post is selected an error message will appear.
Manage Commenting and Posting
Select the dropdown arrow next to the Activity Feed.
Select Manage commenting and posting from the dropdown menu.
Select the preferences desired for commenting and posting.
Create Activity Feed Assignment
When a Submission is added to the Activity Feed, students can submit work in the Activity Feed widget just as they would to a Submission folder. Folders can be created from the widget, or existing Submission folders can be linked.
In the Activity Feed widget, select Create a Post.
Select Select Existing.
Deselect the box to “Allow Comments” if students should not be able to comment on the folder.
Once finished modifying optional settings, select Post.
Edit, Pin, or Delete a Post
Go to the post that needs to be edited, pinned, or deleted.
Select the three dots in the corner of the post.
Select one of the three actions from the dropdown menu.
If editing the post, select Save Changes when complete.
Below are links to the D2L Brightspace Help site for the Activity Feed.
- Activity Feed Overview
- About assignment posts
- Activity Feed minibar update alerts
- Comment on an Activity Feed post
- Control commenting on Activity Feed posts
- Create an assignment post
- Edit and remove Activity Feed posts and comments
- Load an existing assignment in Activity Feed
- Pin post to top of feed
- Post messages and attachments
- Receive Activity Feed instant notifications
- Schedule Activity Feed posts